The AACN Procedure Manual for High Acuity, Progressive, and Critical Care, 7th Edition, authored by the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, is the authoritative reference to procedures performed in high acuity, progressive, and critical care settings. It visually guides you through procedures unique to the adult critical care environment, including those performed by advanced practice nurses, in an illustrated, step-by-step format. This edition features 17 new procedures, new illustrations, and updated content throughout, reflecting the latest evidence-based guidelines and national and international protocols.
- Authored by the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, the foremost authority in critical care nursing, the AACN Procedure Manual is the most authoritative reference to procedures performed by nurses in high acuity, progressive, and critical care settings.
- Comprehensive coverage includes all procedures commonly performed by nurses in high acuity, progressive, and critical care settings, including those performed by advanced practice nurses (indicated by an AP icon).
- A straightforward step-by-step organization uses consistent headings to make following a procedure (and finding the various supporting elements) quick and easy.
- Rationales for all interventions in patient and family education, assessment, patient preparation, procedure, and monitoring help you understand the reason for every step.
- The level of evidence is provided when an evidence base exists to substantiate an intervention, giving insight into the strength of information available.
- Advanced practice procedures are clearly identified with an AP icon so you can judge whether a procedure is within your scope of practice.
- Alphabetical Procedure Index inside the front cover provides quick access to the procedures.
- Written by more than 100 expert critical care nurses and extensively reviewed by more than 100 experts in critical care nursing to ensure the accuracy and currency of each procedure.
- Bulleted lists, tables, and detailed illustrations throughout ensure that content is easy to reference and digest.
New to this Edition
- NEW! Updated content throughout reflects the latest evidence-based guidelines and national and international protocols.
- NEW! 17 new procedures reflect major additions to nursing practice in high acuity, progressive, and critical care settings.
- NEW! Engaging new illustrations of procedures, equipment, and techniques are integrated throughout.
By AACN; Edited by Debra J. Lynn-McHale Wiegand, PhD, RN, CCRN, FAAN, Assistant Professor, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, Maryland; Staff Nurse, Surgical Cardiac Care Unit, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania