Providing guidelines for applying massage to amateur and professional athletes, Sports & Exercise Massage: Comprehensive Care in Athletics, Fitness, & Rehabilitation, 2nd Edition helps you address the challenges of treating clients involved in sports, physical fitness, rehabilitation, and exercise. In-depth coverage describes common patterns for sports activities, such as running and throwing, and uses the principles of massage to focus on assessment techniques, indications, contraindications, and outcome goals. This edition includes a new chapter on stretching, hundreds of full-color photos of techniques, and an Evolve companion website with step-by-step videos demonstrating sports massage applications. Written by noted educator and massage therapy expert Sandy Fritz, this resource provides the proven massage techniques you need to manage common exercise and sports injuries and syndromes.
New to this edition
- UPDATED photos and illustrations show techniques with more clarity than before.
- NEW Stretching chapter shows how to use methods of stretching in a safe and beneficial manner.
- UPDATED complete general protocol suitable for the common athlete is included on the Evolve companion website, featuring a video and a step-by-step guide that can easily be modified to meet the specific needs of athletic clients.
- Added emphasis on treatment planning for athletic clients includes case studies and more In My Experience boxes describing Sandy Fritz’s real-life experiences with sports massage.
- Expanded chapter on research supports evidence-informed practice, including research on fascia and kinesiotaping.
- Additional orthopedic tests most commonly used by massage therapists are included to enhance your skills in assessment and referral.
Table of Contents
UNIT ONE: THEORY AND APPLICATION OF EXERCISE AND ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE
1. The World of Sports and Exercise Massage
2. What is Sports Massage
3. Evidence for Sports Massage Benefit
5. Fitness First
6. Sport-Specific Movement
7. Nutritional Support and Banned Substances
8. Influences of the Mind and Body
UNIT TWO: SPORTS MASSAGE: THEORY AND APPLICATION
9. Indications and Cautions
10. Assessment for Sports Massage and Physical Rehabilitation Application
11. Review of Massage Methods
12. Stretching NEW!
13. Focused Massage Application
14. Unique Circumstances and Adjunct Therapies
UNIT THREE: SPORT INJURY
15. Injury in General
16. Pain Management
17. Common Categories of Injury
18. Medical Treatment for Injury
19. Systemic Illness and Disorders
20. Injury by Area
UNIT FOUR: CASE STUDIES
21. Case Studies
By Sandy Fritz, BS, MS, NCTMB, Director, Health Enrichment Center, School of Therapeutic Massage, Lapeer, Michigan, USA