Get portable, step-by-step instructions on the most common, need-to-know techniques for initial orthopaedic injury management from The Handbook of Casting and Splinting by Stephen R. Thompson, MD and Dan A. Zlotolow, MD. As part of The Mobile Medicine series and modeled after the successful Harriet Lane Handbook, this practical, pocket-sized book is the perfect take-along companion for orthopedic and emergency medicine residents as well as PAs, NPs, and other health professionals. Organized into four sections-orthopedic analgesia, reduction maneuvers, splints and casts, and traction maneuvers-the point-of-care information you need can be found quickly and easily. A highly templated format with outlined steps, photographs, and illustrations guides you through crucial steps of each procedure and technique.
- Stabilize any break or fracture at the point of care by referring to this portable, pocket-sized reference.
- Perform each procedure flawlessly by following nearly 500 step-by-step illustrations and concise accompanying instructions.
- Get all the guidance you need with complete sections on Orthopaedic Analgesia, Reduction Maneuvers, Splints and Casts, and Traction Maneuvers.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Section I: Analgesia
1. Basic Principles of Analgesia
2. Hematoma Block
3. Elbow Block
4. Wrist Block
5. Digital Block
6. Ankle Block
7. Intra-Articular Ankle Block
Section II: Reduction Maneuvers
8. Basic Principles of Reduction Maneuvers
9. Shoulder and Elbow Reduction
10. Forearm, Wrist, and Hand Reduction
11. Pelvis and Lower Extremity Reduction
Section III: Splints and Casts
12. Basics of Splinting and Casting
13. Upper Extremity Splints and Casts
14. Lower Extremity Splints and Casts
Section IV: Traction Maneuvers
15. Femoral Skeletal Traction
16. Tibial Skeletal Traction
17. Calcaneal Skeletal Traction
18. Cervical Spine Traction with Gardner Wells Tongs
By Stephen R. Thompson, MBBS, MEd, FRCSC, Fellow, Fowler Kennedy Sport Medicine Clinic, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada and å, MD, Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics, Temple University School of Medicine, Shriners Hospital for Children of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania