The book systematically covers examination, investigation and diagnosis of all the common and many of the rarer ophthalmic disorders. Illustrations of the embryology, histology, pathology and systemic diseases are included as appropriate to elucidate the clinical information. The new edition has been exhaustively updated throughout, with over 1000 new illustrations, many chapters written by new contributors and new, up-to-the-minute information on refractive surgery and LASIK.
From the reviews of the second edition
"It is a bounty of superbly chosen photographs.... this atlas is unsurpassed in its representational clarity.... A definite visual feast, this book is a prize for any bookshelf." (American Journal of Ophthalmology)
"The authors are superb teachers, and the book is an excellent educational medium." (Doody's Health Sciences Book Review Annual)
"It is always easy to find criticism of a book is one looks hard enough. In this book it seems pointless... it is a superb atlas and I strongly recommend it as a pictorial addition to every clinician's library." (Clinical and Experimental Optometry)
First edition: Winner of the Abbott Prize for Medical Writing
Over 1800 stunning, top-quality clinical photographs. Quite simply, a fantastic
collection of ophthalmic photographs and a fabulous visual teaching aid.
Interpretative line diagrams accompany all relevant photographs explaining clearly to the reader exactly what is happening in each picture.
Pictures augmented with concise, to-the-point text providing a brief, easily-read description to accompany pictures.
More than one picture frequently used to illustrate a condition makes it easier to arrive at an accurate diagnosis.
Organized in a very logical format making it extremely easy to use and to refer to.
Edited by highly regarded, well-respected names.
Comprehensive - covers all the common and may of the rare conditions. No need to buy individual atlases covering glaucoma, refractive surgery, pathology and so on.
Clinical pictures enhanced with key relevant histology, pathology and systemic pictures. Helpful to the trainee, these additional pictures clarify and enable an accurate diagnosis.
Over 1000 completely new illustrations
Over 400 more illustrations than the previous edition
25% of the book completely new
All chapters exhaustively updated and many completely overhauled
Refractive surgery section completely rewritten
Many 2E contributors replaced with new, cutting-edge names
1. Methods of ocular examination (updated, new author)
2. The eyelids (updated, new author)
3. The conjunctiva: diseases and tumors (updated, new author)
4. Infections of the outer eye (updated, new author)
5. Allergic eye diseases, episcleritis and scleritis (updated, new author)
6. The cornea
7. Primary glaucomas (updated, new author)
8. Secondary glaucomas (updated, new author)
9. The uveal tract (updated, new author)
10. Intraocular inflammation (updated, new author)
11. The lens
12. Vitreous and vitreo-retinal disorders (complete overhaul, new author)
13. The normal retina (complete overhaul, new author)
14. The retina: vascular diseases I (complete overhaul, new author)
15. The retina: vascular diseases II (complete overhaul, new author)
16. The retina: macular disease and dystrophies (complete overhaul, new author)
17. The optic disc (updated, new author)
18. Strabismus (complete overhaul, new author)
19. Neuro-ophthalmology (updated, new author)
20. The orbit and lacrimal system