- Comprehensive description of each disease entity
- Contains beautiful color illustrations
- Provides an extensive bibliography
Myasthenia Gravis and Myasthenic Disorders, Second Edition is a thoroughly re-written and updated version of the highly successful first edition published in 1999. The current edition begins with an overview of the anatomy and molecular architecture of the neuromuscular junction and the electrophysiologic diagnosis of its disorders. The introductory chapters are followed by a detailed exposition of the pathogenesis, natural history, diagnosis and therapy of the autoimmune myasthenias, the Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome, and the increasingly complex and fascinating diseases collectively referred to as congenital myasthenic syndromes. The acetylcholine receptor is a major target of both autoimmune and inherited myasthenias and a separate chapter reviews its structural and functional properties. The book also describes disorders that often target terminal nerve segment near the neuromuscular junction-- the syndrome of peripheral nerve hyperexcitability and the Guillain-Barré syndrome.
Comprehensively written by leaders at the forefront of research, not to mention thoroughly referenced throughout and gorgeously illustrated, this new edition of the classic 1999 text will cement its place as the text on Myasthenia Gravis and related disorders for years to come.
Readership: Adult and pediatric neurologists, neurology child neurology residents, electromyographers, and graduate students in neurosciences.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1: The Anatomy and Molecular Architecture of the Neuromuscular, Andrew G. Engel, MD
- Chapter 2: Electrodiagnosis of Myasthenic Disorders, C. Michel Harper, MD
- Chapter 3: The Immunopathogenesis of Myasthenia Gravis, Reinhard Hohlfeld, Hartmut Wekerle, and Alexander Marx
- Chapter 4: Natural History of Myasthenia Gravis, Vladimir Luchanok, MD, PhD, and Henry J. Kaminski, MD
- Chapter 5: The Diagnosis of Myasthenia Gravis and Other Disorders of Neuromuscular Transmission, James F. Howard, JR., M.D.
- Chapter 6: Therapy of Myasthenia Gravis, Daniel B. Drachman, M.D.
- Chapter 7: The Lambert-Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome, Vern C. Juel, M.D., and Donald B. Sanders, M.D.
- Chapter 8: Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes, Andrew G. Engel, M.D., Xin-Ming Shen, Ph.D., Kinji Ohno, M.D., Ph.D, Steven M. Sine, Ph.D.
- Chapter 9: End-Plate Acetylcholine Receptor, a Target for Myasthenic Disorders: Structural and Mechanistic Essentials, Steven M. Sine and Andrew G. Engel
- Chapter 10: Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability Syndromes, Srikanth Muppidi, M.D. and Steven Vernino, M.D., Ph.D.
- Chapter 11: Effects of Antiganglioside Antibodies at the Neuromuscular Junction, Jaap J. Plomp and Hugh J. Willison