Molecular Biology of Cancer: Mechanisms, Targets, and Therapeutics offers the most engaging and accessible account of cancer biology that makes the link between our understanding of cancer and the development of new therapeutics crystal clear.
- Provides an engaging and manageable route into the complex subject of cancer biology
- Describes the theoretical basis of cancer biology and shows how this theory is applied to develop new cancer therapies, giving students a clear appreciation of how theoretical knowledge can be translated into therapeutic strategies
- Draws on the latest research in this dynamic field but presents it in a manner readily accessible to the student
New to this edition
- New full colour diagrams help students to visualize the key concepts explained in the text more effectively
- Expanded coverage of tumour immunology and immunotherapy, discussing tumour suppression and tumour promotion mechanisms of the immune system and the exciting new applications of this knowledge towards developing cancer immunotherapies
About the Author(s)
Lauren Pecorino, Principal Lecturer in Cancer Biology, University of Greenwich
Dr Lauren Pecorino obtained her PhD in Cell and Developmental Biology at the State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA. She then moved to London to carry out a post-doctoral tenure at the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research where she studied the phenomenon of limb regeneration. Here she used a technique called biolistics, using a 'gene gun' to shoot gold bullets coated with DNA to introduce genes into the regenerating limbs of live newts. Since 1996, Lauren has been a member of academic staff at the University of Greenwich, where she developed her interest in teaching Cancer Biology.
2: DNA structure and stability: mutations versus repair
3: Regulation of gene expression
4: Growth factor signaling and oncogenes
5: The cell cycle
6: Growth inhibition and tumor suppressor genes
8: Stem cells and consequences of blocked differentiation
11: Nutrients, hormones, and gene interactions
12: Tumour immunology and immunotherapy
13: Infectious agents and inflammation
14: New technologies and drug development
Dr Pecorino's monumental achievement highlights the most up-to-date and exciting discoveries ongoing in the molecular studies of cancer. - Professor David Lyden, Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Review from previous edition Review of previous edition: Pecorino gets the balance right between cell and molecular biology, focusing on mechanism rather than disease. Importantly the students like the text and can afford to buy the book. Therefore it is a real support to our learning program and actually used by the students. - Dr Bernard Mahon, Biology Department/Institute of Immunology, National University of Ireland, Ireland
Review of previous edition: The textbook is clearly written and the author does a great job of introducing some of the more fundamental concepts. The book is organized well and the topics flow smoothly and logically. The book also nicely pulls in current therapeutic approaches with the molecular lesions that are responsible for the generation of cancer. - Professor Deborah Vestal, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Toledo, USA
Review of previous edition: I found this book very helpful in understanding this otherwise very difficult subject. I think this is the only book which has been written for the learners. The writing style, illustrations and the unique features like 'pause and think' are unprecedented and very helpful. Lauren Pecorino must be a very good teacher. - Dr Waqqar Ali, Registrar Radiation Oncology, Cork University Hospital
Review of previous edition: Dr. Pecorino has done a fantastic job... The book's engaging writing-style and well thought out structure welcomes anyone with an interest in studying cancer in thorough, interesting detail. Reading this text was a pleasure, benefited me greatly educationally and made me feel like being a real part of the teaching - as though things were being explained to me in a one-on-one tutorial, an experience that most other medical textbooks don't provide! - Amazon.co.uk reviewer
The Online Resource Centre features:
For registered adopters of the book:
- Figures from the book, ready to download.
- A test bank of multiple choice questions, with feedback linked to the book.
- Web links to a range of additional cancer biology resources on the internet.