While the brain is ruled to a large extent by chemical neurotransmitters, it is also a bioelectric organ. The collective study of Quantitative ElecrtoEncephaloGraphs (QEEG ? the conversion of brainwaves to digital form to allow for comparison between neurologically normative and dysfunctional individuals), Event Related Potentials (ERPs - electrophysiological response to stimulus) and Neurotherapy (the process of actually retraining brain processes to) offers a window into brain physiology and function via computer and statistical analyses of traditional EEG patterns, suggesting innovative approaches to the improvement of attention, anxiety, mood and behavior.
The volume provides detailed description of the various EEG rhythms and ERPs, the conventional analytic methods such as spectral analysis, and the emerging method utilizing QEEG and ERPs. This research is then related back to practice and all existing approaches in the field of Neurotherapy - conventional EEG-based neurofeedback, brain-computer interface, transcranial Direct Current Stimulation, and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation ? are covered in full. Additionally, software for EEG analysis is provided on CD so that the theory can be practically utilized on the spot, and a database of the EEG algorithms described in the book can be combined with algorithms uploaded by the user in order to compare dysfunctional and normative data.
While it does not offer the breadth provided by an edited work, this volume does provide a level of depth and detail that a single author can deliver, as well as giving readers insight into the personl theories of one of the preeminent leaders in the field.
Features & Benefits:
- provide a holistic picture of quantitative EEG and event related potentials as a unified scientific field.
- present a unified description of the methods of quantitative EEG and event related potentials.
- give a scientifically based overview of existing approaches in the field of neurotherapy
- provide practical information for the better understanding and treatment of disorders, such as ADHD, Schizophrenia, Addiction, OCD, Depression, and Alzheimer's Disease
- CD containing software which analyzes EEG patterns and database sample EEGs / Reader can see actual examples of EEG patterns discussed in book and can upload their own library of EEGs for analysis
Primary: Neuropsychologists and clinical psychologists seeking new methods to assess brain fucntion and dysfunction and treatment of disorders. Secondary: Advanced neuroscience students studying brain function; neurologists and psychiatrists seeking alternative diagnostic/treatment tools.
1. Slow and infra slow potentials, delta rhythms 2. Alpha rhythms 3. Beta rhythms 4. Frontal midline theta rhythm 5. Paroxysmal events 6. QEEG endophenotypes 7. QEEG during sleep 8. Methods of analysis of background EEG 9. Practice 10. Sensory systems 11. Attention networks 12. Executive system 13. Affective system 14. Memory systems 15. Methods: neuronal networks and ERPs 16. Practice 17. ADHD 18. Schizophrenia 19. Addiction 20. OCD 21. Depression 22. Alzheimer's disease 23. Methods of neurotherapy 24. Conclusion
By Juri Kropotov, Russian Academy of Sciences, Institute for the Human Brain, St. Petersburg, Russian Federation