"As a nursing faculty member, I found the book informative, interesting,
and just a pleasure to read. There is a lot of useful information for the new
graduate nurse. 3 Stars."--Doody's Review Service
Packed with real-life examples and indispensable advice from novice nurses and staff development experts, New Nurse’s Survival Guide is the single best book available on how to get the job you want and become the nurse you aspire to be after you graduate from nursing school.
You’ll learn exactly what you must know and do in order to stand out from all the other new graduates and make yourself irresistible to employers -- in even the most challenging job market. And you’ll find out what it really takes to thrive, not just survive, during your first year on the job.
Land a great job in any economy by learning:
- What you can do to gain on-the-job experience while you are still in school
- How to prepare for your job search, interview, and orientation
- What hospitals are looking for and what you need to bring to the table
- How you can demonstrate that you are a nurse that takes the initiative
- How to demonstrate leadership to potential employers
About the Author
Genevieve Chandler, RN, PhD,, is the Director of the Second Bachelor's Program, and a Distinguished Teacher Award-winner at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. A nationally-known expert on nurse journaling, Dr. Chandler is a highly-recruited speaker on the power of personal clinical stories to positively affect one’s self and others.
Table of Contents
How to Use This Book
1. The Dream
2. The Reality
3. Getting a Nursing Job
4. Triage and Priority Setting
5. Patient Safety
8. The Journey
9. One Year Out
10. Where to Next?
Appendix: NCLEX Preparation Resources