Symptom to Diagnosis teaches you an evidence-based, step-by-step process for evaluating, diagnosing, and treating patients based on their clinical complaints. By applying this process you will be able to recognize specific diseases and prescribe the most effective therapy.
Each chapter is built around a common patient complaint that illustrates essential concepts and provides insight into the process by which the differential diagnosis is identified.
Coverage for each disease includes:
- Textbook Presentation: offers a concise statement of the common or classic presentation of the particular disease
- Disease Highlights: covers the most pertinent epidemiologic and pathophysiologic information for the disease
- Evidence-Based Diagnosis: reviews the accuracy of the history, physical exam, laboratory and radiologic tests for the disease. In this unique section, the author points out the findings that help you “rule in” or “rule out” the various diseases.
- Treatment: details the basics of therapy for the disease discussed
Filled with algorithms, summary tables, and questions that direct evaluation, Symptom to Diagnosis is a true must read before your first clinical encounter.
Table of contents
1. The Diagnostic Process
2. Screening & Health Maintenance
3. Abdominal Pain
4. Acid-Base Abnormalities
5. AIDS/HIV Infection
7. Back Pain
8. Chest Pain
9. Cough, Fever, and Respiratory Infections
10. Delirium and Dementia
12. Diarrhea, Acute
17. Gastrointestinal Bleeding
21. Hyponatremia and Hypernatremia
22. Jaundice and Abnormal Liver Enzymes
23. Joint Pain
25. Renal Failure, Acute
27. Weight Loss, Involuntary
28. Wheezing and stridor
Color Insert appears between pages 404 and 405